You are here: Home Contents Litz River Walkabout History of the town of Schruns
Document Actions

History of the town of Schruns

by Theresa König last modified 2007-01-09 21:17

The name Schruns is Rheatia-Romanian and supposedly comes from the word "Ascherun" which means giant acorn.  It was first mentioned in the year 1209 as "Scrunis".  Later, the name "Scharuns" comes up.

In 1433 the church was named St. Josen to Schruns.  From 1579 onwards, Schruns has been a parsonage.  However, the whole area of Ausserlitz stayed in possession of Bartholomaeberg for a while.

The 17th century was full of catastrophes for Schruns.  In the year 1622, Schruns was ransacked by troops.  In the year 1629 many people here succumbed to the Plague and in the avalanche winter of 1689 four people lost their lives.  In 1682 the church burned down.  Luckily, this happened during the day and the surrounding houses could be saved.

The first Craftsmen's Guild was founded in 1696 in Schruns and the first master of the guild was Ulrich Marent.  In 1754 Schruns had a population of 1,230.  In 1762 the Ill and the Litz rivers flooded the fields and the village and destroyed 20 houses.  In the year 1775, after much effort, Schruns was granted its own court and with it the right to have a market.

Between 1796 and 1799 the people in Schruns were suffering from the hardships of war.  Local riflemen, under the command of Mayor Batlogg fought against Napoleon's troops in Feldkirch and Schlappinerjoch.  The town was occupied in 1800.  In the years 1805 to 1814, the Montafon belonged to Baviaria. During this time the valley road was built through Schruns.  In 1867 they built the church that still stands today and later on it was decorated by the artisan family, Bertle.

The first holiday guests came to Schruns around 1870 and this was the beginning of it turning into a tourist resort.  The first hotels were built gradually and in 1905 the Montafon Railway opened which ran on the electricity from the power plant on the Litz river. By 1900 Schruns had around 350 occupied houses and by the time the First World War started, the number of houses had increased dramatically. In 1910 the population was about 1,600 - the same number that had lived there around 1850.  In the year 1928 Schruns was officially granted the status of Town.

Since the Second World War, Schruns has become known all over the world.  On the one hand, the spa and the works of professor Edwin Albrich  found international acclaim, and on the other hand, the Gold Key ski races that take place every 2 years in Schruns and Tschagguns have become a household name for skiers.

The number of overnight stays increases from year to year and the town of Schruns tries to make the guest's stay as comfortable as possible with modern tourist resort facilities, comfortable hotels, cosy cafes and restaurants, well run shops and much, much more.  This is why the holiday makers usually come back year after year.


P02-2 History of the town Schruns.mp3

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: