You are here: Home Contents Cultural History Hiking Trail Gaschurn Lukas Tschofen Parlour
Document Actions

Lukas Tschofen Parlour

by Theresa König last modified 2007-02-19 15:14

 Lukas Tschofen Parlour

The history of Gaschurn in the 17th century was marked by the name Lukas Tschofen – of which there were 4 generations with the same name, and their influence is still felt today.  Lukas Tschofen I was the legendary soldier who was supposed to have stolen the war chest in Flanders and used the riches to establish his family clan.  The truth is that he married a wealthy woman from Gaschurn and made his fortune by making shrewd business decisions.  His son, Lukas Tschofen II demonstrated his wealth by building the Maria Schnee Chapel.  Lukas Tschofen III ran the Alpenrose guest house which burned down in 1927.  In 1658 it was the by far the most successful guest house in the valley.  Lukas Tschofen IV is the builder of this example of outstanding parlour artwork in the late 17th century.

The Parlour was in the original Tschofen house on the street to Partenen until 1910, and was then moved to Bregenz. It was discovered again in 1988 and brought back by the township of Gaschurn. Today it adorns the entrance to the tourist office in the Community Centre.  Outstanding features are the prestigious coat of arms carved on the middle ceiling panel and the religious symbols on the inner wing of the door which you should close when looking at the room.  The inscription above the door gives us an indication of who the former owner was. The names Lukas Tschofen and his wife, Christina Lentschin are here, as well as the year “1681” which was the year that the door was made.  The prestigious way the Tschofens thought is made clear by the urban design of the oven with no useful surfaces.
The furniture is museum pieces that don’t belong to the Tschofen Parlour.  The chest is from the 16th century and the Montafon table was made in 1786.  Both are outstanding examples of Alpine Folk Art.  The parlour cabinets, the cast iron kettle and the wooden receptacle are all dated around 1700. 
Besides this parlour and the Maria Schnee Chapel, the remaining Tschofen houses also remind us of the 4 Lukas Tschofens.  The mural in the elementary school depicts the legendary Lukas Tschofen and the wooden cross on the Pfraggen brings to mind how Lukas Tschofen bought the town free from invading Prättigau (Switzerland) in 1622.
The parlour is in the Community Centre and can be viewed free of charge during regular business hours.


P03-1 Lukas Tschofen Parlour.mp3

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: